Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Laurel for a Musician

 Every scribe gets to the point where they know they can do a Peerage scroll, and then suddenly realize they could be doing a Peerage scroll for someone they know really well and have been friends with for a long time. 

Well, that happened to me! I was asked to do the illumination on a very large scroll for Ysabel's elevation to the Laurel. 

Of course I said yes!... and then promptly made sure that Signet had signed off on this, because there are protocols in the East that we do not skirt around!


Thus my first Peerage scroll - period in text and size, space for minimal illustration, and no gold, because again - following the extant examples. Exactly my cup of tea. 



Two glorious pages, multiple scribes and wordsmiths working on it, and I was to bring the images to life. I was able to use a good deal of the manuscript for my references, except for the letter M. So, I created one based on the other letters of that style in the manuscript. (thank you to photoshop and my tablet) 



In truth, I cannot remember what
letter the shell was to signify.

 


The letter M


The letter G





Ysabel dancing and playing
for the crowd -This is based on
garb she actually owns



Their Majesties Brennan and
Caoilfhionn


The letter C, 
badge of the Order of the Laurel












I greatly enjoyed this project - the research was great and the whole project was a LOT of fun. I was, also, a huge bundle of nerves the whole time. I'd never done anything of this scope before, let alone painted on pages with THAT MUCH TEXT before. I could not screw it up. Thankfully, I didn't have to scrape it once. 

Ysabel's outfit is based on clothes she actually owns and has worn while playing before. Their Majesties clothing follows the example in the book. The Laurel Leaves were substituted but based on the same size and spacing as a letter O in the original text. Thyra helped form some of letters as well, and suggested references for others. 


Pergamenata, various lightfast and waterproof inks with modern gouache. 

Words by Gundormr Dengir

Calligraphy by Thyra Eiriksdottir

Illustration by Aaradyn Ghyoot

No comments:

Post a Comment