Sunday, January 8, 2017

Kells Ducks for an AoA

I wanted to do a Kells based scroll, but as this was before I was ready to do my own calligraphy I asked one of the excellent Laurels of our Barony to do it for me. She agreed.

Here is the finished scroll:

Burdended Tyger

This was illumination I did, which was later calligraphed by Mistress Eleanor Catlyng.

I have since gotten much better at leaving more room for framing.

gouache on pergamenta

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

fly me to the Moon...

Saturday I was floored. I stood before my Baron and Baroness and was asked a question that I knew my partner would be asked but never dreamed that I would have to answer as well.

I was asked to join our Baronial Arts and Sciences Order, the Order of the Moon. It is the first time I was recognized for my arts in the Society. Twice I have been awarded for my service, but never for my Arts. I do think I cried a little.

Thank you, to the Order, to my Baronage, and to the Barony as a whole. Thank you a thousand times over. I shall endeavor to deserve the accolades I have received.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Thoughts on War

Now that I'm home, all the laundry is done, and the scriptorium is set back up, I can sit back and think about Pennsic. (with coffee. always with coffee.)

First, I want to thank everyone who came to my classes. It was fantastic to see so many faces! Thank you all! I also want to thank the AEthelmearc Royal Encampment for hosting the scribal track. It was a beautiful space and very, very useful.

I was fortunate enough to make it to the Scribal Tea this year and I'd like to thank my fellow scribes for their encouragement and critiques. No one improves by only ever hearing about the good, and I truly appreciate that those who offered suggestions did so politely and helpfully. I was even more inspired by the works that were brought to show off! The SCA truly has an amazing group of artists in their ranks.

As I have in years past, I come home to my desk with a renewed creativity and drive toward accuracy.

To brushes!

Monday, August 22, 2016

A Viking AoA for an Embroiderer

gouache on pergamenata
This went out at  Great Northeastern War, and is one of the smallest I've done in a while. It's 5x7 total with a 1/2 inch framing border.

It's the most gold I've done on a scroll, and it's all gouache. It's not my best calligraphy but I'm happy that I found a documentable embroidery pattern to use for her scroll.

A Deed of Arms

Great Northeastern War, held in Malagentia every year, sees the field won by a fighter at a Deed of Arms. I was asked this past year to created the scroll - what I painted outlined the battles fought, the prize at each, and the victory at the end for the fighters.

When the Deed was won, each fighter and lady signed the scroll, and the victor's Arms were painted into the flag at the center bottom as his name was entered at the text at the top.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

July Cover for the Pikestaff

German, 1468


I am grateful that the staff of the Pikestaff chose my art for the July cover, as July is my birthday month. It is a special present to see my work sent throughout the Kingdom.

He reminded me of a professor riding off to Pennsic, book in hand and ready to teach all within earshot.

It appears in the Pikestaff in black and white.