Wednesday, March 20, 2019

A Japanese backlog

Malagentia held a Scribal Moot a few weeks back and I attended, as eager as I was when Quintavia held Iron Scribe.

Where Quintavia's event was a head to head "competition" (which here means a great day of painting and laughter and a bunch of scribes going "oooo! look at this one!!"), Malagentia's was a more laid back event. No competition, just a drive to complete assignments for the East.

I was given one that was already calligraphed and asked to add artwork. It was not my usual style, if I can even say I have a usual style... but I took the assignment none the less.

The result:
gouache on bristol, illumination only

A Japanese style, for an award that entails far too much block color for the time. I went with as simple an option as possible, minimal color and mostly line in some cases. I revised this heavily from the source material - the source was a painted screen, and had far more flowers and reeds. The words took up a lot of space, and I felt the openness was lost, so I went for less and didn't try to color the flowers much so they would add to the open nature of the piece. 

Overall I am happy with the piece. It is far outside my comfort zone, and so working on this with the aid of so many of my fellow scribes around for a "hey, does this look ok?" was really helpful. It was great to get outside my comfort zone like that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment