Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The Virtues: Grace (in progress)

With all the talk of Deeds lately, I've been thinking about the virtues most often assigned to Knighthood.

I've also been thinking about my desire to paint another piece on vellum.

And thus is where I landed for this project: Grace. In the original she is not Grace, she is Amity, and she is not alone. She is in a square of 4 virtues, not alone.
pencil on vellum
source
inked



The inking is where everything went sideways. My nib size was much too large, and the lines are far too thick. I plan to work around that as best I can, but I realize it will change the look of the final piece.

I altered her face for this - she is not wearing a veil over her face in the original. I can paint faces, but as I was sketching her she felt hidden to me, and I decided to veil her instead.

This piece is on hold currently as I work on a project for King and Queens Arts and Sciences Competition in the East.

No comments:

Post a Comment