Sunday, October 8, 2017

A Celt AoA with a monster


A Celtic persona will usually get a page out of one of two books: The Book of Kells or the Lindisfarne Gospels. This recipient got both.

For the top of the scroll I chose the letter P from the Lindisfarne Gospels, f 5b.
For the end I chose the letter A from the Book of Kells, f 26r.

I love the monster at the end of this scroll. I painted it because I wanted to work more on having an element of the design holding the shield, not just a shield in free space. The three headed monster from this page was the inspiration for the whole piece. The books themselves are similar enough in design that it wasn't difficult adapting the earlier Kells style to the only slightly later Lindisfarne style and creating a cohesive scroll.

I'm exceedingly happy with the red dots around the top line and initial. It took forever but the effect is just as I saw in the book and that makes me smile.

The crosses you see in the corners (which were erased before it was sent to the event) are my markers for the matting edge. Mistress Eleanor told me I wasn't leaving enough room on the edges of my scrolls for matting, and I've thought back to that every time I lay out a scroll. I now leave about 2" around the outside edge, which in some cases is very close to the amount of room around the text in a Book of Hours.

I also decided that spelling out Hundred was a bit much, and put in the Roman number instead. I do kinda wonder how many people noticed that. I did not do that on the cut sheet for the herald to read during Court.


No comments:

Post a Comment