Sunday, October 8, 2017

Silver Wheel in Persian style

This was an exciting scroll for me, mostly because of the recipient's persona.
I don't have the skill to attempt a pseudo-hand yet, so the hand is early Roman as it's a hand I am more comfortable with.

This is inspired by the Wonders of Creation, Incipit page, Walters Art Museum Ms. W.593, fol. 1b.

There are a few things I would do differently if doing this scroll again, not the least of which is getting minatum in time to use leaf gold instead of shell gold. I think the shell worked, but it could have been better.

One hallmark of this style, based on the Quran, is the very crisp geometry of the designs. Mine were a little more loose than they should have been. I didn't give this the time I should have, and I do feel it suffered for it.

Overall though, I am happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment