Sunday, October 8, 2017

Apollo's Arrow


French is a style that I have enjoyed for a while, and I really think I'm getting better at it.

This is an Apollo's Arrow, and no - the original doesn't have a huge banner hanging off the side of the castle, but I really like how this worked, and enjoyed adding the award badge as something other than a random floating circle somewhere on the page. I'm working on incorporating the badge or shield for AoA as an element of the design and while I sometimes don't hit the mark, I feel like I'm improving on that considerably.





One of the hard parts of illumination is people. I used to avoid them at all costs. Now it seems like I'm taking every opportunity to add someone in. I'm extra happy with how the fabric turned out in this one. I am less happy with how my shading turned out, but it is something I'm working on and I believe that I have improved on this technique. It's difficult not to let my modern sensibilities punch their way into my work, but I'm trying.

I'm also very happy with how the blue ink accents came out on this scroll. They're much closer to period than some of my other attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment